WE, the residents of south Pend Oreille County and adjacent Bonner County, incorporated and unincorporated, go on the record as opposing the proposed PacWest Silicon Smelter. This opposition is based on several factors, which are not limited to the listed below:
- The smelter would be in total violation of Pend Oreille County Comprehensive Plan. Economic development should “protect the environment and enhance the state’s high quality of life, including air and water quality and the availability of water”. The Plan also states, “New developments should be of a suitable scale and compatible with the rural character”.
- The surrounding area does not have adequate infrastructure-roads, rail systems, bridges, law enforcement, medical facilities, first responders, tax structure, and water/sewer systems.
- The site chosen for the proposed smelter is located in an unincorporated residential area near homes to hundreds of families.
- There is verifiable evidence of the occupational and non-occupational dangers and health hazards associated with silicon smelting/metals processing.
- The proposed smelter will be located within two miles of the Cities of Newport and Oldtown, the water recharge zones, the Little Spokane River Aquifer Basin, the Pend Oreille River, eleven public and private schools, daycare centers; the Newport Hospital and Health Center; senior citizen apartment complexes, long-term care and private extended care homes.
- Popular recreational activities such as swimming, boating, camping and hiking would be affected.
- Potential toxic emissions such as Acid Rain will not be seen right away; but eventually the impacts will affect our forests, gardens, farms (including Alfalfa), fish, fowl, wildlife, and their food sources. Water and the natural food sources we enjoy, such as a variety of edible mushrooms and huckleberries.
- Taxpayers would be burdened with extra costs which would result in the residents paying for the construction and operation of the facility by increased property taxes, increased electrical/water/sewer rates, and infrastructure improvements.
- Property values have sky rocketed in the local area; however if the smelter were to go in, it would most definitely devalue homes and properties within the entire region.
- We oppose PacWest Silicon Smelter Facility due to it not being compatible with our rural way of life and all that we love about our area.
About the CANSS Organization
CANSS Organization – Citizens Against Newport Silicon Smelter, a Non-profit 501(c)4 was organized by a group of unwavering citizens to protect our beautiful pristine area by fulfilling their mission to ‘stop the proposed silicon smelter’.
Contact CANSS by selecting one of the following ways:
- [email protected],
- PO Box 1347, Newport, Washington 99156.
Thank you! CANSS Board of Officers
- Colleen Dalebout, Secretary-Treasurer / Face Book Administrator
- Sheryl Miller, Officer / Legal Liaison / Face Book Administrator
- Gretchen Koenig, Officer
- Denise Teeples, Officer / Face Book Administrator
- Robert (Bob) Rumsey, Officer
The following is an archive of our work. Take a look!