The Promise of Jobs
- PacWest’s, CEO Jayson Tymco, has stated at various times that the new silicon smelter will bring as many as 170 jobs or as few as 130 jobs to our area. The variance in numbers is understandable since PacWest has never built, owned or operated a smelter before.
- They will never guess less than 100. If they do, all of the millions of dollars in tax credits, tax subsidies and taxpayer grant monies start to go away.
- The Canadian company PacWest will qualify for $126,750,000 in tax credits from US taxpayers, $1,200,000 per year power tax subsidy from Washington taxpayers and current estimates of grants from Washington taxpayers are approaching $1,000,000 so far.
- Since the smelter will be “State of the Art”, we can assume that the process will be extensively automated.
- Using information from a similar facility in Burnsville, Mississippi, which if either job listed below would you apply for…
We are searching for an experienced, accomplished, self-motivated Electrical Engineer to maintain and support a silicon metal manufacturing facility located in Tishomingo County. The Electrical Engineer MUST have power systems experience. This position will work across a variety of functional groups that are directly involved in engineering, maintenance, and production. The ideal candidate will be an inventive problem solver that is capable of working through technical challenges and employing pragmatic solutions.
- Five + yrs. experience Electrical Engineering – “Power Systems/High Voltage”
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Competent in the use of electrical engineering software
- Strong understanding of electrical manufacturing processes
- Able to problem solve and troubleshoot as the need arises
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
$60 – $70K year Direct Hire position
Tishomingo County, MS
Will work in all areas of the furnace; operate weigh scale, mix supplies for use in the furnace, set controls that will regulate all aspects of the furnace; monitor gauges, test results, energy consumption, and other furnace requirements and record data in furnace production reporting system. Be able to lift 45 lbs. or apply 45 lbs. of torque pressure, monitor the operation of gauges dials or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly. Will use cranes and other material moving equipment. Will be exposed to potentially hazardous conditions, extreme temperatures of 140ᵒF or more, follow safety precautions and perform a physically demanding job. Must be able to use hand tools, have knowledge of basic machines/tools, have good communication skills, mechanical aptitude, problem-solving skills, adaptability to various working conditions, and work in a team.
Will be required to take the Career Readiness Certification test. Employers will schedule the Job Pass test (a hands-on skills test). Once the CRC tests are completed you will complete a company application. Pay will be based on experience. ALL plant work will follow the DuPont swing shift schedule.
Mississippi Silicon LLC
Min: $17.00 per Hour
The DuPont 12-hour rotating shift schedule uses 4 teams (crews) and 2 twelve-hour shifts to provide 24/7 coverage. It consists of a 4-week cycle where each team works 4 consecutive night shifts, followed by 3 days off duty, works 3 consecutive day shifts, followed by 1 day off duty, works 3 consecutive night shifts, followed by 3 days off duty, work 4 consecutive day shift, then have 7 consecutive days off duty. Personnel works an average 42 hours per week.
Job Description Source
Shift Schedule Source